Saturday, 14 April 2012

This town ain't big enough...

A while ago I promised the gunfight report from my first game of Legends of the Old West. Being neither my Elves, Vampires or Welsh warband I'm struggling to find a suitable language translation for the blog post title... anyway I digress.

My lawmen posse; consisting of a Sheriff, 2 Deputies, 4 Vigilantes and 1 upstanding citizen; saddled up and rode into a small un-named village just outside Cranes city:


Of course it just happened to be high noon but luckily they were armed to the teeth. Who wouldn't be in the wild west? My 3 heroes had heavy pistols to dish out the occasional whipping. The Henchmen we going to offer my Heroes cover with a rifle, sawn-off and 2 six-guns (also carrying hand weapons).  With only $200 in my posse's stash the upstanding citizen could only afford a Saturday Night Special. Basically he was jut cannon fodder should I need to get someone 'in the way' during the nasty shoot outs. But old Lovejoy (any Deadwood fans?) proved far more instrumental to the success of the posse.

At the other end of town stood Trev's posse. 7 men to my 8 but mostly armed with rifles to slow down my movement. We were out to prove him band of so called lawmen couldn't organise a cook-up in a cowboy ranch and were just a band of lazy good for nothings... unfortunately Trev got the bulge on me every turn (we played with deck splitting to work out the drop and I managed to find every ace in that pack!).

I quickly moved my Heroes into the safety of a nearby livery stable. I spilt the Henchmen up leaving the rifleman keeping the mean streets clear while the six guns and sawn-off took a stroll down the street to meet the on-coming gang. Maybe this frightened them as they scarpered around the back of the buildings with riflemen moving into positions behind corners of buildings to snipe at my men as we approached.


You can just see the finger of my sheriff (building on the right) pointing out the snipers! Time for a change of plan. One of my vigilantes clambered up to the roof of the building on the left. The 2 heading down the street took cover inside the building. My rifleman maintained position to keep the main street free. Trev continued his advance around the back of the buildings, but did take a pop shot at my Sheriff in the Livery stable. It was enough to scare me and we retreated to the safety of the Corral:


From here I would be able to move around to face the cowards running around behind the buildings on the right. I moved the rest of the posse out the back of the building they were holed up in. I ran the Rifleman around to join them. The gun fight was not elegant with all shots from everyone missing the targets. While this fight in the back alleys was keeping all my henchmen busy Trev moved his Sheriff into the relative safety of the main street. With his Riflemen still in positions to snipe should I advance on him he was safe:


But then things heated up, a fist fight broke out in the back alley and the victors were:


...my Henchmen. We had trapped the enemy vigilantes and dished out some punishment, knocking 2 of them out. Only the Deputy survived and he ran to the cover of a nearby shop front. It wasn't long before they gunned him down in cold blood (but at the cost of 1 Henchmen) and Trev was facing the prospect of having to take 'head for the hills' tests. Especially after the nifty work of Lovejoy, taking of 2 enemy fighters and winning. He and the Sheriff were putting great pressure on the rest of Trev's posse.

But then things started to go wrong, Trev's posse weren't as yellow-belly as we thought. The enemy Sheriff moved in to corner my leader:


With Lovejoy reloading it was going to get hotter than a whorehouse on nickel night... we had to take our chances and run. I moved one of the six-guns on top of a building to act as cover, but he was shot and fell to his death (I forgot about a rifleman holed up in a building).  By now though my deputies were in on the action, we ran down to face the enemy Sheriff but forgot we couldn't move our full distance and shoot. Oops. Trev again passing his head for the hills test gunned down one of my deputies and finished off Lovejoy leaving me with a head for the Hills test. As can be seen below, I had the advantage and would of gunned down the so called Sheriff...


and faced with this the posse ran. Luckily I had just lost the drop (the first time in the game) a my guys were about to scarper too!

So we had won our first game, but it had cost 1 vigilante and one of my deputies had a serious injury.

A great game, quite a different strategy game to anything I have played before using terrain quite effectively. I can't wait to play some more.

1 comment:

  1. My Indians are going to enjoy this wont be long now !

    ReplyDelete