Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Cele Ravens zbura

A long over-due match report detailing the Raven's last must win game of the 2012 league. They were playing host to the Shadowland Chargers, who had already qualified for the play-offs but wanted to secure a better rank position. A large team value difference sees the Raven's induce an extra vampire and a wizard.


The Ravens were receiving. We set up heavily on the left side zone. With the Chaos having the same strength and speed as the vampires I edged towards playing an agile game. I pushed up the left side, passing all the needed blood lust rolls. Picked up the ball. Handed off to the countess to pass the ball to the waiting vampires up field. I could see the worry on Matt's face. Vampires could be quick.


But then disaster the countess fumbles the 3+ pass with a re-roll and the vampires a left wide open


The Chaos moves in to surround my attacking force deep in their half. With the Countess only protected by a single slave Thrall it doesn't take long for 4 beastmen and 2 warriors to secure the ball.


But vampires are agile. A few dodges later and I even out the numbers at the half way line. I move in a vampire to block the ball carrier and secure it back. But the low movement value of the vampires means I can't move it away from the tacklezone of a felled beastman.


The warriors stand, negating any support and the expected single dice Blitz from the beastman follows. The vampire is downed and worse still stunned. Matt doesn't risk the dodge to pick up the ball. I have a chance to break back again. I use the induced vampire to blitz said beastman back. The successful block sees the beastman stunned to, but the vampire fails the 2+ dodge roll, face plants, knocking himself out!


Ergh. The ball is very much in the open now.


But the Chaos are unable to captialise as the beastman nearest the ball stands up but fumbles the pick-up placing the ball in a Thrall's tackle zone and near a vampire about to jump up.


I blitz the beastman and secure the ball.


But then just as things are going my way, notice who is missing above? The countess. I was trying to move her next to the ball carrier. But the Blood Lust roll fails. I have to dodge out to bite a Thrall and she slips. She is forced into the box to nibble on a spare Thrall but importantly I'm another vampire down - as if this wasn't going to be hard enough!


The Chaos move in to surround me. A beastman first. Matt attempts to block a Thrall with his warrior and having the same luck ends up knocking us both down. The warrior survives but the Thrall is sent packing.


I'm free to dodge out and move both vampires up field. 1 close to the end zone for a passing game:


and the ball carrier running to the right side zone as if his life DIDN'T depend on it:


All Matt could do was move in. He was too far away to block the ball carrier. I had options. Which way would I attempt this.

I use the Thrall to Blitz the beastman marking the ball carrier. He moves up field to help the vampire should I fail the blood lust roll before the pass. All thats left is to get the other vampire in the end-zone. And guess what? Another failed 2+ dodge and the game swings back into the chaos Gods laps.


With the vampire out in the open it doesn't take long for the Chaos to get the ball back into my half.


I have to stop any scoring attempt. I have to win. Time to call upon the services of a wizard. A lightning bolt is hurled at the beastman carrying the ball and he is knocked down. The only player available to get near the ball is a Thrall. My only hope is leaving a tackle zone on the ball.


Still it didn't take long for Matt to Blitz the Thrall, pick up the ball, hand off to that Chaos warrior there and walk it over the line in turn 8. 1-0. Oh dear. I need to score twice and I'm kicking off!


More to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment